Ivano Frankivsk Development Center
The Non Government Organization was established in 2004. In May 2004 cooperation between Ivano-Frankivsk city council and UN Development Program "Municipal Governance and Sustainable Development Programme" (UNDP / MGSDP) was started. The project started as a pilot to develop a mechanism for implementing Sustainable Development principle in Ivano-Frankivsk and launching a joint public-private partnership to address local social, economic and environmental problems.
In June 2004 in order to implement the idea of the program, the Municipal Support Unit was organized at the Ivano-Frankivsk City Council structure. Later this unit was reorganized and the Resource Centre was established. Its main tasks were:
- Improving quality of life through joint implementation of local sustainable development initiatives;
- Promoting urban communities in building their capacity to establish partnerships with the local authorities, other local / regional institutions, private and public sectors;
- Public outreach talks and motivating residents to better understanding of local needs, priorities and conditions of partnership with the government;
- Carry out basic research, data collection on local communities and potential institutions;
- Organizing of study visits;
- Conducting trainings for community activists with their entry skills and leadership skills, ability to manage organizations in order to create an effective system of governance and sustainable development of their organizations;
- Provision of consultancy support, thematic exercises for functional groups of bodies of self-organized population activists, condominiums, Ivano-Frankivsk;
Now the organization changed its name to "Center for Municipal and Regional Development and Resource Center". Also its tasks were expanded. The NGO pays great attention to sustainable urban development through writing and implementation of projects, involving of international technical assistance and cooperation with the City Council. This organization is an intermediate (connection) between local authorities and community. Often, the City Council would invite the NGO to be the project partner and vice versa.